* (noun) (music) a composition played in adagio tempo (slowly and gracefully)
Example(s) of use: "they played the adagio too quickly"
Other definitions and usage examples for Adagio in different contexts:
- (adjective) (of tempo) leisurely
- (adverb) slowly
- (noun) a slow section of a pas de deux requiring great skill and strength by the dancers
- (a. & adv.) Slow; slowly, leisurely, and gracefully. When
repeated, adagio, adagio, it directs the movement to be very slow.
- (n.) A piece of music in adagio time; a slow movement; as, an
adagio of Haydn.