* (noun) someone whose employment involves carrying something
Example(s) of use: "the bonds were transmitted by carrier"
Other definitions and usage examples for Carrier in different contexts:
- (noun) a self-propelled wheeled vehicle designed specifically to carry something; "refrigerated carriers have revolutionized the grocery business"
- (noun) a large warship that carries planes and has a long flat deck for take-offs and landings;
- (noun) an inactive substance that is a vehicle for a radioactive tracer of the same substance and that assists in its recovery after some chemical reaction;
- (noun) a person or firm in the business of transporting people or goods or messages;
- (noun) a radio wave that can be modulated in order to transmit a signal;
- (noun) a man who delivers the mail;
- (noun) a boy who delivers newspapers;
- (noun) a person who has some pathogen to which he is immune but who can pass it on to others;
- (noun) a rack attached to a vehicle; for carrying luggage or skis or the like;
- (n.) One who, or that which, carries or conveys; a messenger.
- (n.) One who is employed, or makes it his business, to carry
goods for others for hire; a porter; a teamster.
- (n.) That which drives or carries; as: (a) A piece which
communicates to an object in a lathe the motion of the face plate; a
lathe dog. (b) A spool holder or bobbin holder in a braiding machine.
(c) A movable piece in magazine guns which transfers the cartridge to a
position from which it can be thrust into the barrel.
Show more »